Saturday, July 16, 2022

Little Yellow Houses for You and Me -- Jeremiah's Journey -- Scene 5.2

 

The screen door opened, and I froze. Caught in the act of trespassing can be a dangerous encounter, especially if protected by a man with a rifle in hand.

But men aren’t dressed in sundresses, and yellow chiffon isn’t a man’s favorite cake frosting color. Her reddish-brunette straight hair graced the top of her shoulders as she headed away from me down the porch with a watering jug in hand. The porch was lined with decorative rail planters with an abundance of peppermint phlox and mixed-colored dahlias. Now, at the corner of the porch, her profile looked familiar. Melanie? 

She was supposed to be at her coffee shop subbing for Savannah. Why was she dressed up? She had worn shorts and a tank top when I had first met her. And her hair was a bloom of curls. What to do? Turn around and walk away. I would undoubtedly be seen as she continued her plant watering. What the  . . . ? Melanie lived behind where I was camped? No way. I must be hallucinating. I turned and walked away, too flabbergasted about the scenario. She didn’t call after me, and I didn’t look back. She’d probably find it creepy that I’d found her house. Found it by accident, or was it luck. I continued walking, faster now, my heart racing. I had to process, recalibrate, and decompress.

A vintage blue Camaro rounded the bend that I approached. For real? I’m on a private road that leads to Melanie’s house and a . . . Yes, it was a ’68 SS, and its 350 V8 rumbled as it crawled down the drive. Okay, I’m a cooked goose. The dude in the Camaro must be her boyfriend . . . or was she married? Visions of squashed sugar plums danced in my head; my head pummeled to a pulp because . . . I was trespassing, not just on property, but this dude’s private property— his babe. But I was innocent. Yeah, explain that to the jury. What was that saying? “Curiosity killed the cat.”

From the chronicles of Jeremiah’s Journey, follow Jeremy beginning with Scene 1 – Mountain Woman, listed in the right sidebar Blog Archive under 2022 June.

No comments: