Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Waterfall Pelts -- Jeremiah's Journey -- Scene 3

 

I approached the bar at Black Warrior Brewing Company, and the pigtailed blonde waitress dressed in a Crimson Ale T-Town Brewed T-shirt acknowledged me. “Would you like a beer?”

They had nothing to offer but beer, so the question seemed bland. Nonetheless, I looked at the chalkboard listing of their fourteen brews. A greeting like, “How can I spice up your day would have kicked my enthusiasm into a higher gear. Today had been one of those to say good night to and dream into the next.

“I’d like a refreshing IPA. What do you recommend?”

“The red-bearded guy in an auto-service uniform, hands that spoke of the grit of turning tires, standing next to me immediately responded with “Blood Orange.”

Pigtail shook her head no.

“Well, if you want a local’s opinion, I’ve had three of ’em, but she’s much prettier than me, so go with her choice.”

“I’d go with the River Fog.”

A New England IPA brewed in the South. Wouldn’t it be a Southern IPA? I had crossed the Black Warrior River to enter the Tuscaloosa City Limits. A deep river with a dense forest border. I imagined the fog of a misty morning following a dewy night.

Yesterday’s waterfall trail hike with Melanie went well beyond my expectations. She wasn’t joking when she said she wanted to shower in the falls, a 125-foot stream of pelting drops. We ditched our hydration packs, socks, and boots. I stripped off my Patagonia dry-fit shirt, now soaking wet with perspiration. Melanie hadn’t broken a sweat; my face was beaded and hot. I needed to lose that extra ten pounds that settled in my gut after sitting in a recliner—a mental workout for sure—enduring four weeks of Mississippi sauna heat wave in the comfort of my coach’s A/C.

She stepped into the waterfall and looked up, her mouth agape, tasting the crystal-clear mountain spring water. She was soaked in a cool minute, her shirt a second skin molded to her curves and protrusions. She was all woman at that moment, even though she bested me in the boulder scramble to the top.

I just stared. The sunlight streamed through a break in the forest canopy onto her face glistening with the refreshment from the fifty-degree pressurized cave water. Then, she looked at me. A gaze that sliced my heart in two. Sliced. Not ripped. Sliced is like filleting it wide open. Exposed.

I approached Melanie in the waterfall. The footing was slippery, mossy on black rock. Almost goosed it, but I made it look like a purposeful dance towards her. Yeah, I bet she thought that, too. She smiled, though, relieving the tension within me. She exuded power in a good way. Like a magnet, I closed in.

The shock of the cold subterranean water caused me to shout, “Yeee Haaa!” I instantly relaxed into my natural persona of chill.

She looked down; I’m not sure why. Was she embarrassed that I could see through her wet skin shirt? She turned to face away, her muscular back to me. I wouldn’t typically describe a woman’s back as muscular, but she looked strong, not big-boned, just lean and ripped. A mountain woman.

Her back to me was not an afront. Instead, I took it to be an invitation— Come to me.

And so, I did. I stepped to her and placed my arms around her torso. She melted into my chest, her neck nestling against mine, cool skin against the heat within me.

 

From the chronicles of Jeremiah’s Journey, follow Jeremy beginning with Scene 1 – Mountain Woman, listed in the right sidebar under June 2022.

No comments: