Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Steps of Redemption - 3: Broken


“But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon…”
Luke 22:32

The Adventures of Peter - Last Days 
begins with “Steps of Redemption - 1” posted on this blog.

I had never looked so deeply into Jesus’ eyes as I did that night as he stood and warmed himself by the fire in the courtyard of the High Priest Caiaphus.1 The rooster had just crowed,2 and a bone-chilling shiver shuddered through my body. As I stood there amongst the throng of people, chief priests, captains of the temple, scribes, and elders,3 their cacophony and presence seemed to fade away as I continued to lock into the gaze of Jesus, a trance-like moment as time seemed to stand still. During this brief interlude between the rooster crowing and the reality of what I had just done, my mind paraded visions of the precious times I had experienced with the Son of God:

Simon Peter saw himself falling to his knees at the feet of Jesus, saying, “Oh, Lord, please leave me—I’m too much of a sinner to be around you.” For Peter was awestruck by the size of the fishermen’s catch, as were the others with him. His partners, James and John, were also amazed. He feared his boastful remarks about his authority as a fisherman and the humiliation he faced in the light of the Truth in the company of his fishing partners. With compassion for a child who has humbled himself, Jesus lifted him up, saying, “Don’t be afraid! From now on, you’ll be fishing for people!” And as soon as they landed, they left everything and followed Jesus.4   

Peter’s mind skipped to the road in Caesarea Philippi where Jesus was walking with him and His disciples, teaching them when He asked, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” The disciples looked amongst themselves as one said, “John the Baptist,” then another, “Elijah,” and yet another, “Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.” Jesus stopped walking, and the disciples gathered around Him to hear His response. He looked at each one and, opening His arms to them, said, “Who do you say I am?” Peter’s spirit quickened, and as his eyes met Jesus,’ he heard his voice exclaim, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus placed His hand on him, the disciple first to proclaim this, and said, “You are blessed, Simon of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock, I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you lock on earth will be locked in heaven, and whatever you open on earth will be opened in heaven.” 

Jesus resumed his walk, Peter on one side and John on the other, and sternly warned them not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah. From then on, Jesus told his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem and told them what would happen to him there. Jesus would suffer at the hands of the leaders and the leading priests and the teacher of the religious lawkilled by them and raised by God to life on the third day.  

When Peter heard this, he took Jesus’ arm, leading Him to the side of the road, and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Heaven forbid, Lord! This will never happen to you!” 

Jesus turned from Peter and faced His disciples, who looked at them with astonishment as Jesus admonished, “Get away from Me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You see things merely from a human point of view, and not from God’s.”5  

My eyes fell from Jesus’ gaze as the reality of what I had just done pierced my heart, shattered my mind, and divided my soul. The noise and commotion of the priests and elders rebuking Jesus flooded my ears as my eyes closed and my chin came to rest on my chest. My strength flowed from me as I realized that I had failed my King, that I could do nothing, standing there as a man, void of Christ’s Spirit, sifted by Satan. I was useless to my Lord, denying Him three times as Jesus predicted.

Peter walked slowly to the courtyard door, dejected, defeated, and humiliated, unnoticed by the crowd transfixed on the One to whom he pledged, “I am ready to die for you.”6 Falling to his knees as his agony erupted, weeping bitterly,7 Peter was broken by his pride and impetuousness. 


* * *

  The Adventures of Peter-The Last Days

This story is Step 3 of a 7-part series.

Previously posted:
Steps of Redemption - 1: Stumbled
Steps of Redemption - 2: Vulnerable

* * *  

 Praise to Our Father for the words He has given me.

* * *

Copyright © 2004, 2005 Stellar Rhema Ministry

2016 by Jeff Cambridge

2024 bycambridge @ BrokenVav Media

* * *


References
Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996.  Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189.  All rights reserved.

1.     Luke 22:55, 23:61
2.     Luke 23:60
3.     Matthew 26:59
4.     Adapted from Luke 5:8-11
5.     Adapted from Matthew 16:13-23    
6.     John 13:37
7.   Matthew 26:75

No comments: