Sunday, March 17, 2024

Steps of Redemption - 1: Stumbled

 

“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to have all of you…”

Luke 22:31

What have I done? I ran from the garden and began my descent from the mount. Standing by my King in the boldness that comes from pride and self-confidence, I was ready to die by the sword just as I had vowed to Jesus in typical boastful fashion.

I am ready to die for you!1 The pompous words echoed in my head as I continued running from the garden, my eyes focused on John ahead of him.

Where is John headed? My breathing was labored, and my heart pounded from the adrenaline rush of the hour’s events.

Lord, I am ready to go to prison with you and even to die with you!2 My heartfelt devotion as I reflected on my response to the Lord’s concern for my faith.3  This is why I was astonished at the rebuke from Jesus in the garden—“Put your sword back into its sheath. Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”4

Simon Peter had strapped on a sword in the upper room after Jesus had told him that he would deny—three times—that he knew Him! When Jesus told the disciples to prepare themselves with a traveler’s bag, money, and sword,5 he quickly grabbed one of the two swords they found in the room and gird it to his waist. Peter wasted no time in preparing for confrontation, even though Jesus brushed aside their suggestion to arm themselves that evening with an ironic rebuke, “It is enough.”6 Peter was still mulling over in disbelief, his Master’s humiliation of his boldness of character—I am not a weak one; I will show Him who is strong among us! 

When Peter drew his sword as the High Priest’s servant, Malchus, approached Jesus, he reacted impulsively.7 He was not a swordsman, an armor bearer, nor a soldier, but a fisherman very familiar with the small, curved blade of a filleting knife used to clean fish. The sword was much more extensive and cumbersome, and as Peter lifted it from its sheath to strike the man, he was off balance from wielding it above his head. The blade, as it came down, would have missed Malchus entirely had he not looked towards Peter as it caught his ear, clipping it from his head. Malchus cried out as he fell to the ground, holding his head.      

The temple guards rushed forward; drawn were their weapons. Jesus was already in their grasp, being held by the priests as the guards came forth.8 Jesus turned to Peter and spoke, his voice ringing clear in the night air, stunning them with these words, “Put away your sword. Those who use the sword will be killed by the sword. Don’t you realize I could ask my Father for thousands of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly? But if I did, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled to describe what must happen now?”9 Peter, eyes ablaze, breathing heavily with anger, felt the humiliation of his Master’s admonition as his hand went limp, dropping the sword to the ground. He doesn’t need me in my strength; I need Him in my weakness

Then Jesus, looking at those holding Him, resonated, “Permit even this.”10 Peter was amazed at the power Jesus had over them, a battalion of Roman soldiers and temple guards forming a small army of hundreds,11 yet they had drawn back and fallen to the ground when Jesus, just moments before, said, “I AM”12 acknowledging that He was Jesus of Nazareth.13  As Malchus held his head, blood dripping between his fingers, Jesus knelt at his side, placing the ear perfectly in place, healing the man,14 leaving no mark that this vicious deed had occurred. 

Jesus rose and, looking to the multitude, he said, “Am I some dangerous criminal that you have come armed with swords and clubs to arrest me? Why didn’t you arrest me in the Temple? I was there teaching every day. But this is all happening to fulfill the words of the prophets as recorded in the Scriptures.”15 Then the prophetic words of Zechariah were fulfilled just as Jesus foretold them to His chosen twelve at their last supper together just hours before, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night.16 For the Scriptures say, ‘God will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ ”17

“At that point, all the disciples deserted him and fled.”18

—A confession from Matthew, a disciple who abandoned Jesus

* * *

    "The Adventures of Peter-The Last Days" 

This story is Step 1 of a 7-part series.

* * *  

 Praise to Our Father for the words He has given me.

* * *

Copyright © 2004, 2005 Stellar Rhema Ministry

2016 by Jeff Cambridge

2024 bycambridge @ BrokenVav Media

Footnotes

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

Verses marked NKJV are from The Holy Bible, New King James Version, copyright © 1979, 1980, 1982, Thomas Nelson, Inc., Publishers. 

Verses marked NRSV are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright  © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission. All rights reserved.

1.      John 13:37

2.      Luke 22:33

3.      Luke 22:32

4.      John 18:11

5.      Luke 22:36

6.      Luke 22:38 NRSV and notes pp. 140

7.      John 18:10

8.      Matthew 26:50

9.      Matthew 26:52-54

10.   Luke 22:51 NKJV

11.   Matthew 26:47, John 18:3

12.   John 18:6 NKJV and notes pp. 1945

13.   John 18:5

14.   Luke 22:51

15.   Matthew 26:55-56

16.   Matthew 26:31 NKJV

17.   Matthew 26:31

18.   Matthew 26:56 

No comments: