Sunday, April 24, 2016

Jeremiah's Journey - 8: "Give Me Wings"


We walked through the vineyard of generations past, Adelina’s heritage growing on the vine. Trees bursting with olives flourished. I am Jeremiah, and I am on a quest to find what I am searching.
It has been seven days and nights, and I have found no rest. The fountain of words will not stop, but I, as a writer, know that I must pen the flow of ink until it runs dry. As a painter of words, I will not stop until the portrait is complete. A burnt out cigarette dangles from my lips. I forgot it was there. The keystrokes continue, the cat scratches with its nails. Stop it! You annoy me! Yet, it is their life of preparation, who know what the next moment will bring?
“Vuoi ballare con me stasera?” Will you dance with me tonight?
Was this an invitation to draw me closer to her? Dancing is an act of love. The embrace, the steps, the movement synchronized with the music, flesh so close, only the fabric of what we wear holds us back. I dare not think of what lay beneath.
“I would love to.” That was all I could say. A flow of emotions coursed through my heart, dormant for so many years. My last dance, oh, how it has been so long.
“The musicians will play on the patio overlooking the vineyard, rolling hills of succulent grapes. They are ripe for picking. Vuoi camminare con me oggi?” Will you walk with me today?
I imagined the walk, her pulling a grape from the cluster, placing it in my mouth like she did with the hot, steamy bread. How did this happen? A rose of love invited her into my heart. I did not know Adelina, a bicycle babe that rested in the seat in the corner of the patio café. Generations of the family she knew; I did not. Yes, I have a family, and generations of it, but the cuffs of control bound the flow of the freedom of love. Why do they not give me wings?
“Follow you wherever you go.” The words I spoke struck me. My heart flowed a paragraph, but my mouth could utter only the essence. That is best, Jeremiah, keep it simple, you are a complicated one.
“Come, my father is pruning the vines. I want you to meet him.”
A sudden impasse, like a collision course into a wall, my heart stopped. Why should I meet your father? What is he like? Multitudes of thought overloaded my mind. How had I gotten this far? Meeting family meant future.

I was here to write for what I was searching, not to find it.


Jeremiah's Journey – 8: "Give Me Wings”
Copyright © 2016 by Jeff Cambridge

More Inspirational Reads @ Revelation7Strong.blogspot.com
The series of episodes of Jeremiah’s Journey begin with “Rose Are For Lovers” published on this blog. Follow me on Facebook @ Jeff Cambridge and join the fans of Jeremiah by subscribing to my blog.

No comments: