Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Jeremiah’s Journey – 9: “Fire of the Spirit”


Dazzled by her beauty
Brilliant eyes of blue
Backdrop of patchwork
Line of vines
Surrounded the villa
Nestled on the hillside

The flow of prose and poetry, the purge of images, a catharsis of the past left me as a sponge wrung dry. Tears flowed, sorrow spent, my spirit refreshed as a spring rain. The root buried deep in the crevices of my heart plucked and thrown into the eternal fire allowed the fountain of living water to flow freely, seeping into the depths of my soul filling my cup that now overflows. Looking forward and beyond, my gaze unhindered, the blue of the sky, not a cloud in sight. Fog of my mind lifted, I think clearly now, peace rolling like the wind over hills and valleys, sweet fragrance of blossoms waft. I have wings and I soar, chained no more to the past of control and its dark gloom.
              “There he is, wearing the wide-brimmed hat.” Adelina shaded her eyes and pointed across the quilt of rows. “Papà’s pruning the vines to start new growth. He begins the day before Pasqua – Easter. The dead vines are piled high in the middle of the olive grove.”



We strolled through the ancient trees, their gnarly twisted trunks – fingers of exposed roots digging into the fertile soil. In the center of the meadow was a tower of vines. A wire ascended from a tunnel at its base to the top of the grandfather of trees where a white dove made of olive branches and feathers rested.
“After the Scoppio del Carro – the "Explosion of the Cart," our family tradition is to light the dove with a flaming spear, and the Spirit of Fire descends to burn the dead vines of the past.”
It was all making sense to me, now. The nights of fitful sleep, I was wrestling in my dreams. Wrestling with whom? The root, the pith of my past, the python, a coiling spirit that works to squeeze out the breath of life, reminding me of past wounds that chained me from moving beyond them.
“Qual è il tuo cuore, il mio amore?” What is on your heart, my love?
I was shaken back to the moment in the ancient olive grove, their roots exposed to their source of life.
“Freedom.” Again, one word expressed the flush of emotions, the flow of words, the fountain of thoughts that emanated from within. I was shaking inside. Looking at my hands they were still; the peace surpassed my understanding.
Lui farà la sua casa nel vostro cuore, come si fiducia in Lui.” He will make a home in your heart as you trust in Him.
“The bird in the tree. What does it mean?”
“Seen as a dove from heaven, it is the Fire of the Spirit.”
“And it consumes the dead vines.”
“Trimmed by the vinedresser to remove the dead and to stimulate new growth. The source of life or death comes from the root, whether it is good or evil. I suoi radici cresceranno fino all'amore di Dio e tenervi forte. Your roots will grow down to God’s love and keep you strong.”
I had been wrestling with the root of evil, the python.
“The Fire of the Spirit brings light to the tunnel of darkness, the old that must be consumed by fire, for the new to begin life. Allora si sarà reso completo di tutta la pienezza di vita e di potere che viene da Dio. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
The Fire of the Spirit pithed the root of the python. I, Jeremiah, willingly gave up my past to take on the freedom of the present, a new life begun from the source of the True Vine. I came in search of what I would find, new beginnings. What is love?
E possiate avere il potere di capire come larghezza, per quanto tempo, quanto in alto, e quanto profondo il suo amore è. And may you have the power to understand how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is.”
The roots of an olive tree are shallow, exposed to the elements of life; they draw water that lies within the surface. My roots must run deep to withstand the trials of time. Love God deeply, and deeply your roots will grow.
Attraverso il suo potente potenza che opera in noi, a realizzare infinitamente più di quanto si possa chiedere o pensare. Through His mighty power at work within you, He will accomplish infinitely more than you might ask or think.”
Adelina took my hand and looked deeply into my eyes.
“I see a man of prophetic words. The old man is gone – new wine in new wineskins – you are made anew. Come, I want you to meet my father.”

I felt I already had.


Jeremiah's Journey – 9: "Fire of the Spirit”
Copyright © 2016 by Jeff Cambridge

More Inspirational Reads @ Revelation7Strong.blogspot.com
The series of episodes of Jeremiah’s Journey begin with “Rose Are For Lovers” published on this blog. Follow me on Facebook @ Jeff Cambridge and join the fans of Jeremiah by subscribing to my blog.


No comments: