Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Creative Way Journal - 8: Questions Of Discovery


I am on a journey with Ted Dekker, through “The Creative Way,” a course in transformation fiction. Ted has published over 35 novels and sold over 10 million copies worldwide. Two of his novels, Thr3e, and House were made into movies with more in production. For more of his biography, you can read at http://teddekker.com/about/.

Why is this important to me?

After Ted had graduated from college, he entered the corporate world and proceeded to climb the proverbial ladder. So did I. But his personal drive left him restless and, after many successful years, he traded corporate life for entrepreneurial pursuits. So did I. In the early nineties, Ted decided to pursue a long-held desire to be a novelist. This is where my path diverges.

My writing as a novelist was a serendipitous desire to explore my life and write spontaneously about it using characters that displayed a bit of people I encountered in my life experiences and me. I did not have a theme or a plot line. I just started writing about three characters. What I discovered was a question that everyone wants the answer. After writing what would become the first novel, PURSUIT, a story about forsaken love, I fell in love with a daughter of the Father that I felt He had reserved for me. Thirty days of her love was all that I experienced. Texas deputies shot and killed her son for a minor crime, shoplifting. His death crushed his mother’s heart, and she left me to move back to Texas to be with her only remaining son. She was heartbroken, and so was I. I wrote the third novel, CONQUEROR, over the next three months as I journeyed through the healing process of redemptive love.

I returned to writing the segue novel, SCANDAL, a rogue, realistic story about scandalous love. I discovered the theme of my five years of writing during this anguishing time of exploring my past relationships, and to bring to light the question that we all want an answer.

What is Love?

Love is sacrifice.
Loving God first is selfless love,
     Yet if I didn’t love others,
     I would have gained nothing.
Love is fruit of the Holy Spirit
     To be given freely without restraint.
Love is not jealous or envious or vain.
Love is kind and compassionate, hopeful and enduring.
Love is patient and long suffering through trials and strife.
Love does not seek its own way.
Love is faithful and true, never boastful or proud.
Love is honest and just, yet completed with grace.
Love is virtuous and pure, not irritable or rude.
Love holds no record of wrongs.
Love never falters in faith.
Love never fails and lasts forever.

God is love.

Apostle Paul’s letter written in 1 Corinthians 13 is the substance of my poetic answer to the question. Christian marriage ceremonies often speak of this wisdom. I was searching for the answer, and it was already written and available to me as a guide for all relationships.

Why do we ignore, why do we not practice the wisdom of the Word of God?

That is the question that we all want the answer.

Discover yourself in the Light that is already within you. It may be blocked by grievances you hold against another person or yourself. Forgive yourself and others, and the Light will dispel the darkness, and you will discover your true identity as a son or daughter of the Father.

No comments: