Friday, June 3, 2016

On Trial


I awoke this morning to words from the accuser. Word upon word described that which I am not, each one a fiery dart that hit not my heart, but my shield of faith. You see, I am a son of the Father, and I am complete in Christ, joined as one with Him. As a son of the Father, I am an heir to the kingdom of God, the eternal kingdom of Heaven and the kingdom of God within me. Through my inheritance from the Father, I am cloaked with the armor of God1:
The helmet of Salvation claims that Christ is the head of my life, protecting my mind from false ideologies and accusations that come against my true identity in Him.
The breastplate of Righteousness claims that Christ sealed my heart with Him with honor as a son of the Father.
The belt of Truth secures holding up God’s Word, Truth that clothes me.
The gospel of Peace shod my feet wherever I walk in the Spirit of God, proclaiming the rule of Christ to love God above all things with all of me and to love others as I love myself.
And it is the shield of Faith that protects me from the lies of Satan, the accuser of God’s children that attempts to diminish our faith in the one and only God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
As a son of the Father, I have one weapon, and this is all I need to fight against, not flesh and blood, but rather, the darkness that clouds the Light within me, for I am the light of the world. That weapon is the sword of the Spirit, the word of God. “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden form His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.”2
When we are “put on trial” by the world, the sons and daughters of the Father have the sword of the Spirit, a double-edged sword that is both an offensive and defensive weapon. As a weapon of offense, God’s Word – The Holy Bible – is illuminating, revealing right from wrong, the wise among the foolish, and the light clouded by darkness. The sword of the Lord cuts out the darkness (lies) that veils the Light (Truth) that transforms you from who you perceive yourself to be (based on the accusers of the world including yourself) to who you are in Christ, perfect and complete in Him.
I have given them your word, and the world has hated them, because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but that you keep them safe from the evil one. They do not belong to the world just as I do not belong to the world. Set them apart in the truth; your word is truth. Just as you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I set myself apart on their behalf, so that they too may be truly set apart.”3

O how I love your law!
All day long I meditate on it.
Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies,
for I am always aware of them.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
for I meditate on your rules.
I am more discerning than those older than I,
for I observe your precepts.
I stay away from the evil path,
so that I might keep your instructions.
I do not turn aside from your regulations,
for you teach me.
Your words are sweeter
in my mouth than honey!
Your precepts give me discernment.
Therefore I hate all deceitful actions.
Your word is a lamp to walk by,
and a light to illumine my path.4


This morning, what the accuser attempted to hurt me with, at first, prompted me to defend myself. But then, the Spirit reminded me that I am a son of the Father, and I am in Christ, an heir to the kingdom of God where there is no condemnation in Him, the first born among many brothers and sisters.
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.”5
So, know that when you are “put on trial” by this world, your Father uses these trials for your growth in Him. God’s Word removes the darkness that clouds the Light, surgically cuts out the evil of this world, the lies that attempt to condemn you, and frees you from the snares of the enemy. For your all-knowing Creator, knew you before you were born, appointed you in advance for an eternal purpose, summoned you to be His son or daughter, freed you from any question of error, dishonor, guilt, or negligence, and made you shine brilliantly as the light in a world of darkness.
So then, this question remains, “When you are ‘put on trial’ by this world, do you think only about saving your reputation, or are you more concerned about what people think about Christ?” Defend yourself for the cause of the gospel, not to satisfy your ego.6

References:
1.     Ephesians 10:20
2.     Hebrews 4:12-13 NKJV
3.     Jesus’ Prayer for Believers, John 17:14-19 NET (italics added)
4.     David sings of the Sword of the Spirit, God’s Word in Psalm 119:97-105 NIV
5.     Romans 8:28-3- NIV

6.     2 Corinthians 12:11-15, Notes from the Life Application Bible NKJV

No comments: